Sunday, June 22, 2014

The birthday boy

"Animal lovers are a special breed of humans, generous of spirit, full of empathy, perhaps a little prone to sentimentality, and with hearts as big as a cloudless sky."--John Grogan "Marley & Me"


I will admit that some of us animal lovers go overboard. Some of us will buy our pets designer outfits, expensive jewelry, high-quality ingredient dinners (ie ribeye steaks, lobster, imported fruits), or other expensive unnecessary luxuries. But I am cheap. I call it being frugal; I'm a DIY person and enjoy learning things along the way. I do want what's best for my kids, but I also want to do it within my budget (though I will admit to buying porterhouse cuts for my kids!).

Just last week was Zeke's third birthday. I swear the little booger just knows what's going on. He looked like a kid on Christmas morning. He wanted us to sing "happy birthday" to him. Oh, sweet baby Jesus. And then he didn't want us to stop. He would go running into our room whining and didn't stop til we sang. That kid enjoyed every second of it. Having not been feeling well, I didn't go all out for his birthday this year. Should have seen his first birthday party. One birthday tradition I did complete was breakfast. Every year I make him a two egg omelette with cheese. His favorite. I will get to the start of that tradition some other time. Anyways, so my dad took it upon himself to do the honors of acquiring gifts; I didn't even expect it. Zeke got a lovely blue bag filled with yummies. Dentastix (he needs them) and some good looking canned food. He also received a card signed by all. That card made me cry. It was great. And for dinner, he got his porterhouse cut steak. Grilled well done, of course. So he, his sisters, and uncle took part in this merriment. No cake this year, but he had quite the day. Apparently it wasn't enough though, because the next morning he wanted us to sing to him again! Oy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home